Name:
Location: New Castle, Indiana

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Thoughts on weddings, wives and marriage in general

I just started reading The Meaning of Wife by Anne Kingston. I'm still within the first 50 pages and I haven't decided what the author's stance is on being a wife. Sometimes I think she's for it and yet other times I think she's a feminist who abhors the idea of submitting to another person, particularly a man.

The section I was reading last night got me thinking. It was saying that women only want to be a bride and not a wife. She was discussing the trend in the last 20 years or so of weddings taking over people's lives and just becoming huge spectacles. She has a point. I would say that many couples now spend more for their wedding than their parents spent on their first home. The author says that women want to be a bride to fulfill their childhood fairytale dreams of the perfect wedding. That we all want to be a princess for a day.

So, I've been thinking about how I view the idea of being a wife and how "society" views wives and how other women I've talked to who are wives feel about it. I'm not sure if I have the fairytale stuck in my mind that someday my prince will come and sweep me off my feet and we'll live happily ever after. Of course, that would be wonderful, but is that a possibility in real life. I've often asked myself in the past few years why I have this unquenchable desire to be married and have children if its not in God's plan for my life. And if it is in His plan, why hasn't it happened yet? Is Mr. Right out there? And why aren't we together yet?

Maybe I'm naive, but I do think that "happily ever after" is a real possibility. At least, I sure do hope so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home